7660 – Attorney Unclassified
Starting Salary: $58,718.40 - $123,136 Annual
This recruitment is to establish a register for current and future Attorney Unclassified vacancies which serves all levels/assignments of Attorney in the Criminal and Civil Divisions of the Pima County Attorney's Office.
Salary Grade: U3
Summary: Coordinates and conducts professional legal work in areas such as the Office of the Pima County Attorney, Public Defense Services, or Special Counsel. Incumbents may be generalists or specialize in the area of law as related to the assignment. This classification is appointed, unclassified and exempt from the Pima County Merit System Rules.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
- Prosecutes or defends a variety of criminal cases in Justice Court, Juvenile Court, Superior Court and Appellate Courts;
- Represents County departments, boards and commissions in civil litigation and administrative matters;
- Engages in negotiations for compromise and settlement of cases;
- Engages in pretrial, trial, post-trial and appellate practice as required by cases;
- Researches legal questions;
- Prepares ordinances, resolutions, contracts and leases for consideration by county officials;
- Prepares legal opinions and advises county officials on a variety of legal matters;
- Acts in a fiduciary capacity on guardianship and/or conservatorship matters;
- Engages in probate administration;
- Researches and drafts legal motions;
- Prepares pleadings, briefs and other legal documents;
- Reviews and evaluates investigative reports;
- Participates in investigations;
- Supervises clerical, investigative and/or legal staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- civil and criminal law;
- rules of civil and criminal procedures and rules of evidence;
- legal research;
- legal ethics.
- analyzing legal documents and instruments;
- preparing opinions and drafting legal documents;
- presenting and arguing cases in court;
- developing and maintaining effective working relationships with others;
- communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from an accredited school of law.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Admission to the Arizona State Bar at time of appointment.
Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
CLOSING DATE: Open Continuously.
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 7066PCA-20160722.
About this company
The Human Resources Department partners with clients to recruit and retain a highly committed, highly competent, and results-oriented workforce by leading Pima County in the acquisition, maintenance, development and measurement of its human assets and by providing various employment-related services and activities. Services include: Recruitment and Selection, Classification and Compensation, E-Verify®, Personnel Records, Employment Rights, ADA Administration, FMLA Administration, Employee Benefits and Wellness, Management Training, Performance Management, HIPAA / Privacy Practices and Federal, State and local labor reporting.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ